Witnesses take stand in Bowman trial

GREENVILLE — More than a year after a woman’s death, her husband is being tried before a jury.

Richard M. Bowman, of New Weston, is being tried for one count of aggravated murder in the Darke County Common Pleas Court with Judge Jonathan P. Hein presiding.

Bowman was arrested in June 2020 after his wife, Teresa Bowman, age 60, was pronounced dead at their residence by EMS on Disher Road, Darke County, Ohio, in April. A forensic examination of Teresa revealed her death was the result of strangulation.

The State v. Bowman jury trial began Monday morning as members of the community showed up to the courthouse for jury selection.

The trial itself began on Tuesday with a review of Bowman’s case from both defense and state’s attorneys before witnesses were called to the stand. Members of the medical staff and members of law enforcement who were present at the scene were called to the stand in order to testify their perspectives of the events.

The courtroom was able to hear the dispatched 911 call between the operator and Bowman stating his wife was not breathing, cold, but not stiff. He was asked to perform chest compressions and administer breaths if comfortable.

As part of the questioning through a majority of the witnesses, the state attorney continuously asked if the defendant administered appropriate emotional distress. An array of mixed reviews were given about Bowman’s emotions during the event but a majority of the witnesses agreed Bowman’s blood pressure was slightly elevated. A normal body function in traumatic situations. Bowman made it clear to the medical staff he does in fact have high blood pressure.

Deputy Kelly Moody, with the Greenville Police Department, was the first law enforcement officer on scene. He managed to get a detailed statement from Bowman and direct him away from the scene in order to give the EMS team the space they needed while ensuring Bowman was limited to the effects of the traumatic events.

Deputy Moody stated Bowman advised he had left the house to run some errands around 9:30 a.m. and was gone for two hours before returning to search for his wife. Bowman said on his last stop at the Ft. Recovery Dollar General, he had texted his wife to see if she needed bread. Bowman was adamant Deputy Moody saw the text message he sent on his phone and understood the text was sent at 11:21 a.m.

After not receiving a reply, Bowman advised the deputy he went home to locate….

To continue reading, visit Witnesses Take Stand | Daily Advocate.